Friday 9 October 2015

Mum and Dad this is what you should know!

After having a discussion over the weekend with young people here are some of the 
 remarks the young people would wish their parents to be in touch with and know.

The remarks were collected from a mixed school. One of assumptions we cannot continue 
having is the fact that young people are not engaging in sex. Over 80% of the questions
that students share during our discussions are related to sexuality in particular sexual 
intercourse. To some of us these remarks might not surprise us to others this might be a 
great opportunity for us change certain things especially parenting strategies and 
interventions used in addressing youth challenges.


All this remarks are anonymous 
#What young people want parents to know#

"I am in my early twenties and I have been in a relationship for 5 years with a man I love so much.
Am sexually active and not ready to loss him I would want to reduce the frequency of engaging in
sex. I cannot stay around him without doing it".

"I want my parents to support my decisions and allow me to make personal choices".

"My parent should be open and not warn me without giving me good reasons".

"I would appreciate if my parents would help me nurture my talent".

"Our parents should know that our generation needs their concern they should create time and speak to us about sexuality. They should not expose us to money because this is a tool not a destination". 

"WE need more of their time than money".

"My parents should know that I have been having sex for the past four years".

"Parents need to trust young people and know that their responsible and able to make informed decisions".

"Please believe in my dreams “My parents would not allow me to talk a certain career path am better off in arts than academics. Support me in this”.

In order for us to ensure effective communication parents need to be friends with their 
children, encourage dialogue, and talk to them diligently and openly about the different
developmental challenges. Lastly, parents have no choice but to style up and know the
emerging trends among young people this enables parents to have information about the
changing dynamics among the youths. Act



Reach out to us on: youthchangerskenya@gmail.com

iv

No comments:

Post a Comment